At the cottage
The cottage is situated along Hardinge Road, which is part of the old Mason and Bird Timber Tramway route. The Mason and Bird Heritage Trail, which runs along the edge of the Bickley Brook through the valley up to Carmel, retraces one of Western Australia's oldest timber routes. Established in 1872, the track was built by convict labour and took seven months to complete and was the second railway to be opened in the state. The timber was transported from the Hills Station to Mason's Landing in Cannington for transport to England. The old timber bridge over Munday Brook still remains.
The City of Gosnells' runs Ghost Walks over several nights throughout the Summer months. The walks are held on a Friday night, on or near a Full Moon and take visitors up to the Victoria Reservoir for their 'moonlight stroll' back down the valley meeting several 'ghosts' along the way, who are always happy to share their stories. This popular attraction books out fast and has been running since 1995. For more information, please contact the City of Gosnells on 08 9397 3000.
The Southern Terminus of the Kattamordo Heritage Trail is located approximately 500 metres from the cottage. The Trail is a 27km walk track which starts at Mundaring Weir Road and traverse's forests, orchard and farmland along the top of the Darling Range to Carmel, where it descends via Bickley Valley to Bickley Reservoir. It features sites of significance in the history of the timber, forestry, horticultural and tourist industries, the Goldfields Water Scheme, and the areas' natural history. The length of the trail provides an interesting and challenging excursion for experienced bushwalkers, while easy vehicle access to several pick-up points along the way allows the trail to be covered in more leisurely short stages.
Valley to Valley Hike Trail
The Valley to Valley Walk Trail runs across the Darling Scarp from Bickley Brook Reservoir to the Ellis Brook Valley, home of the 60 Foot Falls. This lovely trail is about 2 hours one way and has a wonderful array of wildflowers during late winter and spring.
The walk to the Lions Lookout, which looks across the Swan Coastal Plain to the City, starts just up the road from the cottage and crosses the brook over a little wooden bridge. This trail will take you up to the top of the hill behind the cottage and past Kanyana Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre. The trail crosses several hills and then returns back to the hill above the cottage.
The original Victoria Reservoir was built in 1891 and was replaced in 1990. Enjoy exploring the remains of the old dam wall and the views from the New Victoria Reservoir. The walk trail to the Victoria Reservoir is along Hardinge Road and the Mason & Bird Timber Heritage Trail, turning right on to the Munday Brook Trail just over the old Timber bridge. There is a large lawned area and a gazebo with table and chairs as well as a toilet block for picnickers.
Perth Locality Map
The map is an active map of the wider locality, that can be zoomed in to show walk trails, local places of interest, roads, and some shops.